Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Week 6 Thing 13

Web 2.0 who would have thought that we would be tagging and social bookmarking. I think that this is really cool way to not recreate the wheel every time you are looking for something searching a tag and finding quickly what you may have already found or someone else has tagged. I have found some very useful sites searching the tags. I had created an account and explored it in a class earlier in the summer but not spent much time with it. I am liking that it is easy to use and organize. I have explored many others accounts and it is very interesting but again it seems to be a time zapper. All of the sudden an hour has gone by and who knew what I was really doing. I do see this as a useful tool however and I think that I will be using it more and more.

2 comments:

Ann said...

One of the thing that a couple of people have talked about with tagging is how everyone thinks differently so tags are really only as good as the consistency that they are used with. I still have trouble organizing my computer files since the name that made sense when I saved the file, may not be the thing I am thinking of when I search for the file. I think this is an example of my digital immigrant status....practice, practice :-)

Ann

Sharon said...

You are on to something when you say you don't have to recreate the wheel. Since you can search by tag, or user, you can find different information that you possibly wouldn't have come across as quickly if you were searching the web in general. As librarians most of us are comfortable doing searches in different ways, trying to look from different angles. Social bookmarking lends itself nicely to this kind of thinking.